Monday, March 24, 2008

The big surprise

What a wonderful blessing I received this weekend. First, my husband's sister Gloria and brother-in-law Charlie came down from Pennsylvania for a visit. We had known about this visit for a while. And since our son couldn't make it (he lives in CT) and our daughter (4 hours away) had too much on the go with grad school and work, we were really looking forward to having some family visit us over the Easter weekend.

Gloria and Charlie arrived Friday evening around 7:30 PM after a long but safe trip. We stayed up until 1 AM talking. Saturday morning everyone slept in while our youngest son got up and made a pancake and sausage breakfast for everyone. (Well, I heard he was up so I did get up to help. I'm a mom afterall.) That day we took Gloria and Charlie for a drive to see our old haunts. Then at around 5:30 PM there was a knock on our door and, to our great surprise, there was our daughter! My husband answered the door and literally jumped when she came out of hiding to greet him. I didn't know anything was happening until I came out of my rooom, walked down the hall and there she was. Come to find out, Gloria was the instigator of the surprise.

We had another good visit that evening, but didn't stay up quite so late since it was Easter Sunday the next day. Sunday morning, my husband got up early and went out to the living room. He was going to try to get some work done for his job before everyone got up. Alan came back to the room and told me he needed me to come out. Knowing my sister and brother-in-law were there, I asked him if I needed to be presentable. He said no. I threw on my housecoat, ran my fingers threw my hair, knowing how it gets all stuck up on my head when I sleep, and I went to the living room. There I found my oldest son and his wife. They drove down from CT through the night. I couldn't contain my joy and so I started to cry. My heart was so full.

What a blessing! Thank you Lord for all my family. Thank you family for all your love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, incredible blessing, Carolyn! I've got tears in my eyes too. Keep on taking care of YOU, dear friend. I continue to pray for you.