Monday, April 14, 2008

Running on Empty

Sometimes we run on empty. Have you ever felt that way? I did last night. There were still several hours left in the day and I could not find anything I wanted to do. There was nothing I wanted to read. There was nothing I wanted make. There was nothing I wanted to write. I had nothing to say. I had nothing to give. I was bored and unmotivated, but I could not stand to waste the time I had (I had already wasted a lot of time during the day). So I did the dishes (yes, they should have been done sooner) and made my husband's lunch for the next day. But I was still empty.

The routines of daily life, such as doing chores, can be done when we run on empty. They are rote tasks that we know how to do and we can do them mechanically. However, to do something with interest and energy, to be inspired or excited, or to love and give of oneself unselfishly requires the spark of life to ignite and blaze, to fill our inner reservoir so that it spills over and touches the lives of others. That doesn't happen when you are running on empty.

Sometimes all we need is rest. Being physically and even mentally weary saps our strength and empties our reserves. Sometimes we need proper nutrition. Our body is weakened when it is fed empty calories. Sometimes we need a break from stress. External demands and pressures on our inner person disconnect us from our inner strength. I have experienced these various drains and strains, but I don't think they were the reason for my feeling empty for the past few days.

I have some idea of what was wrong. I won't go into all the details. I can sum it up by saying that I became temporarily blind, that is to say, I lost my sight. I lost sight of my purpose and significance. I lost sight of what God wants me to do with my life.

Happily, God gave me a little surprise last night. In the midst of my emptiness, I got a nudge. And because I responded to that nudge and did what it told me to do, I spent the last hour before bedtime feeling my purpose return and my cup filling up. In addition, I was given some creative inspiration that I knew wasn't mine. It couldn't be. I had none to start out with, therefore I knew the source of such inspiration had to be the Lord. I am not capable of making something out of nothing. Only He can.

Ephesians 3:14-21 is a good passage relating to being filled, but I won't quote it all here. I will close with the last two verses.

"Now unto him that is able to exceedingly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh within us, unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments: