Friday, April 4, 2008

John 14:23

"... if a man love me, he will keep my words; and my Father will love him and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. John 14:23

Awesome. Those words are deep and astounding.

That verse was one of the latest entries in a special journal I keep. It is a journal for writing those profound lessons I learn from the Bible, or through life circumstances. I only write a brief thought that summarizes what God has impressed upon my heart. I review this journal over and over so that I don't forget what I have learned. It is so easy to forget the important things when the immediate and the urgent things crowd our minds.

The first profound thought is a conditional one. If a man love me, he will keep my words, ie receive them, treasure them, do them. It makes one have to pause and reflect on one's level of obedience and commitment to Jesus and his teachings. This is very humbling for me, because I know I fall short.

The second thought is also conditional, but very rewarding. If one loves Christ, and keeps his word, the Father will also love him or her. Jesus said in the gospels that he and his Father are one. This statement is evidence for the doctrine of the Trinity, which I am not qualified to comment on. However, my heart reaction to this statement was that God's love was personal and infinitely immense and doubly sure (being from the Father and the Son).

The third thought is simply mind staggering. If a person loves Jesus and keeps his word, the Father and the Son will come to him or her and live with him or her. Not only is that a statement that evidences that God offers us a personal relationship (He is not an impersonal force), but it gives evidence that there is the potential for an intimacy with God like that of a family or marriage, of living together, sharing together, being involved with each other.

That is the kind of relationship I need in order to face the trials of each day.

By the way, it took a few more days, but I did start to feel stronger. I planted a few more perennials in my little flower garden and I am going to tackle improving yet another dull spot in our yard. I am finding gardening and landscaping to be very rewarding work that I can handle a little at a time.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Mom. Love you!